Furious tourists are suing travel firm First Choice after getting sick at Egypt’s Jaz Aquaviva Resort.
Jessica and Andrew Whittington, 35 and 39, were enjoying a week-long stay for their honeymoon in June.
They claim they were struck down with severe vomiting and diarrhoea, adding that their “trip of a lifetime” was ruined.
The couple, from West Sussex, travelled with their children Max, 12, and Mia, 5.
Two days into their trip, Jessica began to suffer from excruciating stomach cramps.
Kiev, Ukraine. Partly in ruins following anti-government protests and Russian military intervention.
“It ended up being a nightmare that we still haven’t recovered from”
She told The Sun she has video footage of chefs handling raw meat, cooked meat and salad while wearing the same gloves.
“Andrew, Max and I all felt unwell early into the honeymoon and unfortunately we still continue to suffer from our symptoms,” she said.
“As soon as we got to our room I found it quite dirty and uncomfortable, and sadly the holiday went downhill from there.
“I have travelled to Egypt eight times and never fallen ill before. The staff were pleasant to interact with, they just need hygiene training.
“This was meant to be our honeymoon, a dream holiday. We saved up for two years to afford it, but it ended up being a nightmare that we still haven’t recovered from.”
But it seems the family were far from alone.
Nichola Blackburn, an international personal injury specialist for Irwin Mitchell, said: “Gastroenteritis can have serious, long-term health implications for those affected.
“We are now representing over 25 people who were affected by illness at the Jaz Aquaviva Resort following holidays this spring and summer, and we are still receiving enquiries from other guests at the hotel suggesting that something was awry.
“Many of our clients are giving us similar descriptions of their time at the resort and the problems that they faced, including incidents of faeces in the swimming pool, which some of our clients witnessed and believe were not dealt with properly.
“We would encourage anyone who stayed at the Jaz Aquaviva Resort this year and has since experienced gastric symptoms, to see their GP at the earliest available opportunity.
“We would also like to speak with them as they may be able to help with our investigations.”
Tuvalu – Situated in the Pacific Ocean near neighbouring Fiji, its extreme remoteness helps it avoid becoming politically aligned – meaning it’s a safe destination for Brits.
A First Choice spokesman said: “We’re sorry to hear about these customers’ experience during their holidays earlier this year.
“As we understand this is now subject to legal proceedings we are unable to comment further at this time.
“We closely audit all resorts to which we operate to ensure that health, hygiene and comfort levels are maintained in line with industry standards.”