Shocked holidaymakers say they’ve been left out of pocket
COUPLES left devastated when their dream weddings and holidays were cancelled after one of the biggest all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean reportedly “shut for refurbishment” had payments taken just TWO weeks ago.
Brides-to-be are among the hundreds of people forced to cancel trips to the Sandals resort in Antigua following its snap decision to close for three months from September 20.
Now Brit tourists claim they were never notified about the closure – so handed over their money as recent as a fortnight ago.
Ever since they have been unable to get hold of the company, they say.
David and Leigh Spence told MailOnline they had their holiday plans ruined by the “shock closure”.
Mr Spence said: “My wife only got an email on July 19 about the closure which asked us to contact them as soon as possible.
“But that was after we had paid the full amount just two weeks earlier, which was £1,500. We had also upgraded our flights at the same time.
“They must have known the hotel was going to shut but they didn’t communicate that.”
Town on lockdown as cops hunt schizophrenic CHAINSAW attacker who injured five in rampage in Switzerland
A MIRACLE THEY SURVIVED
Newborn twins dumped in bush with umbilical cords STILL ATTACHED are saved by passers-by
Brit holidaymakers warned to watch their drinks in Gran Canaria after girl, 19, is SPIKED with a mystery substance
Chilling CCTV shows missing girl, 5, dressed in man’s coat as she is led away after being snatched
BATTERED BY HOOLIGANS
Shocking footage appears to show Aston Villa fans being attacked at a German pub during the club’s pre-season tour
NAZIS’ SUNKEN TROVE
British crew find chest that could contain £100million of Nazi gold in the wreck of German cargo ship
MailOnline reported earlier this week among the devastated couples are Mark Ingham and Sharon Osborne, both 55, from Basingstoke, Hampshire.
They planned a wedding at the resort on September 21.
They claim they paid £3,900 for the wedding and holiday, £545 for a photographer and another £315 on other wedding expenses.
But last week they were reportedly told their wedding was off and they fear they’ve lost their money.
Mr Ingham told MailOnline: “My fiancée hasn’t stopped crying since we found out.
“We’re absolutely crushed and just have no idea what to do.”
“This was meant to be our big day which we had been planning for months and months and Sandals has ruined it.”
The company insists it’s shutting for vital refurbishment work and has offered to make amends.
It says if clients impacted by the closure choose to return to the resort within one year of their original travel date the original rate will be honoured.
The he company will pay any airline change fees or penalties, a statement says.
If customers choose to travel on their original dates but revise to a different Sandals resorts or beaches the airfare will also be covered.
Impacted clients will also be offered credit nights.
Sandals Resorts International chairman Gordon “Butch” Stewart said: “We recognise the dramatic consequences this action has.
“We humbly and sincerely apologise and promise Sandals will take care of you… in the most professional and practical way possible.”
The Sun has made contact with the company although no-one was available for comment at that time.
Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368