Firefighters are urging parents to be aware of where their children play during the summer holidays after a blaze at a derelict Scunthorpe pub.
Four crews were sent to the former Star Inn, on Rochdale Road, on Monday night (July 31), to deal with a fire which was believed to have been caused by children playing inside the building.
Twenty-two firefighters from Humberside Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene amid concerns that children were inside the building.
The first floor of the building was on fire upon their arrival and fire crews forced entry to the building in order to undertake a search.
Nobody was injured or left inside the building as a result of the incident.
Kieren Garner, a youth engagement officer based at Scunthorpe Fire Station, said: “I would urge parents to know the whereabouts of your children when they go out after school, at weekends and during the holidays and talk to them about staying safe while they are out.
“While the vast majority of young people would not dream of playing in derelict buildings, there are some who may be unaware of the huge danger they face if they do so.
“The floors in these derelict properties are often unsafe and could collapse, leading to serious injury or even death.
“If someone decides to light a fire inside or deliberately set light to the building, those inside may be unable to escape, increasing the risk not only to themselves but also to the firefighters who would enter the building to rescue those trapped.”
As reported, owner of the former Star building, David Brown, who runs Merryvale Developments and is planning to build new homes on the site, promised swift action to demolish it following the incident and other cases of vandalism.
He said: “I owe it to the worried residents to get the building demolished and cleared as soon as possible.”