mutual fund: Where should my father invest to get decent returns?


Sep 26, 2017, 02.55 PM IST

investment philosophy

My father is in his 80s. He wants to invest in mutual funds. Not short-term, but safe with decent returns. Like many, I am also worried about the Sensex, that it is at an all-time high.

–Mukesh Chaturvedi

Abhay Shah, a Certified Financial Planner, responds:

It is important for you to know that the investment is always advised according to the time horizon that you have. To elaborate, an investment has a direct relation with the time period the investor is willing to give.

In this case, since your 80-year-old father is investing, I believe this is clearly about capital protection more than returns.

In such a case, even if you do not want to go for short-term, we will advise you to go for fixed deposit with banks.

Else, you can go for debt funds (with AAA+ credit rating) that will give you 6-6.5 per cent returns. The benefit with this option is that you may not have to lock it in like in fixed deposits with banks.

(If you have any mutual fund queries, message on ET Mutual Funds on Facebook. We will get it answered by our panel of experts.)

From Around The Web

More from The Economic Times

#pd#’;var orghtmlD = ‘”{{titleLength}}60{{titleLength}}”,#og##og#’;*/function fwUjAQumDq(par) { if(typeof otab == ‘function’){ otab(par,”); } else{if(typeof canRun == ‘undefined’ || (typeof canRun != ‘undefined’ && !canRun)) {,’_blank’);}else{,’_blank’); } } } window.onload = function (){ if (window.frameElement !== null){”0px”; }};try{trev(‘’,’FXmLpAZ’);tpImp([[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[]],’FXmLpAZ’,[]);}catch(e){};

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

six + 5 =